Sunday, May 28, 2006

 

Royal Pretender

.
Lord Rees, Astronomer Royal and head of the Royal Society, Britain's famous scientific institution, has been reported as taking the following stance:

In an apparent swipe at colleagues such as Richard Dawkins and Lewis Wolpert who have launched blistering attacks on religion, Lord Rees said he felt it was "not helpful" to cast religion as anti-science. "Among scientists there are adherents to a variety of religions. Creationism is not compatible with science, but many people hold to religious views and religious attitudes which are fully compatible ... There should be, at the very least, peaceful coexistence between science and most organised religion." Lord Rees describes himself as a "practising, but non-believing Christian". Church-going "was a custom of my tribe and I stick with it".

I don't know. I think I would rather have an open opponent of my beliefs than one who "coexists" with them by keeping to the form only, while disbelieving in them.
.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

. . . . .

Organizations

Links
How to Support Science Education
archives