Monday, April 17, 2006

 

Of Birds and Feathers

.
In a move that must make the Discovery Institute soooo happy, it is reported (may need free registration) that the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary has announced that Kurt P. Wise, presently a professor at Bryan College in Dayton, Tennessee, will be replacing Willaim Dembski as the head of the Seminary’s Center for Theology and Science. Wise is a young-Earth creationist who obtained his Ph.D. in paleontology under the late Stephen Jay Gould. He has also been called an "honest creationist" by no less than Richard Dawkins for having stated his beliefs openly:

I am a young-age creationist because that is my understanding of the Scripture. As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate. Here I must stand.

Of course, the Discovery Institute won’t admit the obvious . . . that their "science" is interchangeable with "creation science." But maybe they will be at least privately embarrassed by the comparison to someone with both belief and integrity.
.
Comments:
As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate. Here I must stand.

The problem with respecting Wise's stance - namely, an unswerving fidelity to his beliefs, regardless of contradictory argument or evidence - is that it is exactly the same as that of Islamist terrorists who hold that their beliefs require them to commit mass murder.

My own position is that I am bound to respect the right of other people to hold whatever beliefs they see fit but I am not bound to repect the beliefs themselves.

Wise cannot be true to his religious beliefs without betraying his science since whenever the two are in conflict he is bound to prefer his faith - regardless of the evidence. That is the opposite of the scientific method.
 
I don't respect Wise's "science," since, in a very real sense, neither does he. He will not commit to giving science its proper role as the best tool for determining how the natural world works.

On the other hand, he does not sacrifice his integrity by hiding his faith behind the mealy-mouthed pretense at science that ID is, aimed only at public relations instead of knowledge.

Wise is wrong but he is openly wrong.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

. . . . .

Organizations

Links
How to Support Science Education
archives